Appliances cannot go in the garbage. See below for disposal options for large appliances.

Option 1:  Some retailers will take and recycle old appliances when you purchase a new one.  Utilize these programs when available.

Option 2: Bring your appliances to an appliance recycler. Fees apply call business for pricing and hours.

Option 3: If you do not have a way to transport an appliance to a recycling facility, call your garbage hauler or one of the appliance recyclers above to schedule a pick-up for a one-time fee. 

Small appliances including blenders (remove glass), coffee makers (remove carafe), fans, toasters, toaster ovens, vacuum cleaners (remove bags), small heaters, hair dryers, fryers, bread makers, and more can be taken to The Recycling Zone in Dakota County to be recycled for free. For a full list and information about the Recycling Zone visit our Recycling Zone information guide.


Automotive parts and fluids cannot go in your garbage. Do not pour automotive fluids down the drain, on the ground or down a storm drain. 
Automotive fluids and metal car parts can be brought to the recycling zone to be recycled. Remove all gas, oil, and non-metal parts first. 

The Recycling Zone
3365 Dodd Rd
Eagan, MN 55121
Wed: 9:00am - 8:00pm
Thurs: noon - 8:00pm
Fri: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Sat: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Fees: $5 for tires

For additional car salvage yards or vehicle donation sites visit Dakota County's Green Guide.

Christmas Trees and Wreaths

Live Christmas Trees and Wreaths can be composted. Remove tinsel, ornaments, string lights, wires, ribbons, and all other decorations prior to disposal. 

Compost sites open during the winter (call for hours and fees):  

Resource Recovery Technologies
16454 Blaine Ave
Rosemount, MN 55068

Gertens Brickyard (retail location)
5500 Blaine Ave
Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076

If you have residential garbage pick-up you may be able to have your tree picked up for recycling.  Call your garbage hauler to see if they offer tree pick-up service. 


If you recently removed carpeting from your home, you have a number of options to dispose of it. To recycle your carpet it must meet the following requirements:

  • Carpet must be dry, clean, and debris-free
  • Carpet and carpet padding must be separated
  • Carpet must be rolled or bagged; rolls should be a maximum of six feet in length and should be tied with string or twine -- no duct tape.

Not accepted:  Rubber-backed, carpet tile or other rigid flooring. Carpet scraps or trimmings. Carpet with tack strips, nails or staples. 

For a complete list of businesses that accept carpet and carpet padding, visit our Carpet Recycling Guide


Electronic items cannot go in the garbage. This includes telephones, TV's, DVD players, printers, scanners, laptops, video equipment, tablets, e-readers, audio equipment, computer equipment, data storage devices, stereos, and more.  Take these items to the Recycling Zone to be properly recycled. 

The Recycling Zone
3365 Dodd Rd
Eagan, MN 55121
Wed: 9:00am - 8:00pm
Thurs: noon - 8:00pm
Fri: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Sat: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Fee: Most items are free, computer monitors and TV's are $10 to recycle

For more disposal options visit our Electronics Recycling Guide


Food waste can be composted in a backyard compost bin or at a residential compost facility. View our Backyard Composting Guide for instructions and information about composting at home. Food waste and other organic material can also be dropped off at the RRT Compost site. 

Resource Recovery Technologies (The Mulch Store)
16454 Blaine Ave
Rosemount, MN 55068
Open year-round. Call for hours.
Accepts: Food waste, leaves, grass clippings, brush, tree waste, stumps, logs.


Furniture, if in good condition, can be donated or sold for reuse. For a full list of donation location check out our Furniture Donation Guide. For furniture items that are no longer in good condition, call your garbage hauler for a one-time pick up, or bring them to a landfill.

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous waste cannot go in the garbage, it must be taken to the Recycling Zone for proper disposal. For information to see what is considered hazardous waste visit our Recycling Zone page. 

The Recycling Zone
3365 Dodd Rd
Eagan, MN 55121
Wed: 9:00am - 8:00pm
Thurs: noon - 8:00pm
Fri: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Sat: 8:00am - 5:00pm

Household Recyclables

Household recyclables can be put in your recycling bin at home. To find out what materials are accepted in your household recycling bin, visit our Recycling 101 page.  

Light bulbs

Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) contain mercury and can harm health and the environment if not disposed of properly. Do not place CFL's in the garbage or in your household recycling bin. For a list of free drop-off locations visit our fluorescent bulb guide.

Place incandescent and LED bulbs in your household garbage bin. 


Option 1. Reusable wood and lumber in good condition can be donated. Check out Dakota County's Green Guide for a list of donation locations. 

Option 2. Untreated wood can be recycled through Dunham Brothers Wood Recycling

Dunham Brothers Wood Recycling
10831 215th St. W.
Lakeville, MN

Option 3. Treated lumber and wood- including railroad ties, green treated, and pressure treated wood- can be taken to a landfill or transfer station. For a list of landfills in the area, check out our Landfill Information Guide

Visit our Home Renovation Recycling Guide for locations to reuse and recycle other home debris items. 


Option 1. Mattress that are in good condition or reusable can be donated to Bridging, inc. 

201 W 87th St
Bloomington, MN 55420
M-Th 10am-6pm; F-Sa 9am-3pm

Option 2. Mattresses that are no longer usable can be recycled. Check out our Mattress Recycling Guide for safe disposal options. 

Option 3. If recycling the mattress is not an option, ask the retailer that brings your new mattress if they offer disposal. If they don't, call your hauler to schedule a bulky items pick-up or bring it to the landfill for a fee. 


Paint and paint thinners are considered hazardous waste and cannot go in your garbage bin. Instead these items can be taken to The Recycling Zone to be reused or recycled for free. Through a program called PaintCare, paint can also be recycled at numerous stores throughout the area. Check out the Paintcare Site Locator to find a location nearest you. 


Medication should not be placed in the trash, poured down a sink, or flushed down the toilet. Instead, residents can drop off expired or unwanted medicine for free at a drop-off box at their local police station to be disposed of safely and anonymously. Many are open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. For a full list of locations and a list of medications accepted check out our Pharmaceutical Disposal Guide.

Sharps are not accepted in the medication drop-off stations. Please place sharps in a rigid, puncture-resistant plastic container with a screw on lid and take them to the Recycling Zone. 

Yard Waste

Yard waste cannot go in the trash. Instead, bring yard waste to a local compost site or call your garbage hauler to schedule a curbside pick-up. Hours will vary for drop-off sites and fees may apply for both drop-off and pick-up of yard waste.Treated wood will not be accepted with yard waste and must go to a lined landfill. Check out our Yard Waste Guide for drop-off locations and details. 


Contact Us

City Education Department
13713 Frontier Court
Burnsville, MN 55337-3817
Phone: 952-895-4559

Dakota Valley Recycling

DVR is the partnership recycling department for the Cities of Apple Valley, BurnsvilleEagan and Lakeville that connects residents and businesses to recycling, composting and waste disposal information.

DVR is not a drop off facility and does not accept any materials for recycling.