Electronics and spent fluorescent bulbs from businesses are collected for a fee at The Recycling Zone on the second Tuesday of every month from 9 a.m.–2 p.m.
The Recycling Zone
3365 Dodd Road (South Highway 149)
Eagan, MN 55121
Fluorescent bulbs and electronics contain hazardous components. Therefore, it is illegal to throw them in the trash. Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury and electronics contain toxic materials such as lead, PCBs, mercury and cadmium.
Current disposal and recycling costs (prices subject to change)
- Four foot and shorter straight fluorescent bulbs—$0.25 each
- Five foot and longer straight fluorescent bulbs—$0.45 each
- Compact fluorescent bulbs—$0.40 each
- Shatter-shielded fluorescent bulbs—$1.15 each
- U-shaped and circular fluorescent bulbs—$0.45 each
- HID and low-pressure sodium bulbs—$0.90 each
- Broken bulbs (packaged in sealed containers)—$1.00 each or $1.00 per pound
- Ballasts—$0.70 per pound
- Mercury devices (thermostats, switches, thermometers, relays, manometers, barometers, thermocouples, gauges, etc.)—$2.90 per pound
- Electronics—$0.35 per pound
- Cell phones—free
Transporting fluorescent bulbs
- Count each type of bulb and bring the count with you.
- Transport bulbs in original cartons or similar containers to prevent breakage. Broken bulbs are considerably more expensive to recycle.
- Don’t tape bulbs together.
Cash, check or Visa/MasterCard payment is due at the time of delivery. Make checks payable to Dakota County Property Taxation & Records. Businesses receive a tracking receipt upon payment.
Free disposal for Xcel customers
One visit per year, you can bring in your Xcel utility statement and receive free disposal of up to 10 fluorescent bulbs.
For more information, call the Dakota County Environmental Management Department at 952-891-7557.
For information on all Dakota County business programs, please see Dakota County Programs.